Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Write Drunk. Edit Sober.


 
Surprisingly enough, some of my best work has happened on a Monday morning over 6 a.m. margaritas. I say this so that I don't feel guilty sitting at a bar in the middle of the afternoon three drinks down under the pretense that they offer free Wi-Fi and my monitor looks better in the dim lighting as I edit a batch of wedding photos. I consider myself something of a visual storyteller, though not a very accomplished one yet. The ability to arrange a series of images in a way that creates an emotional experience is something that has always fascinated me. You see it in fashion, movies, art, advertising, sports. Absolutely everywhere. I'll never forget the first time I watched Pulp Fiction and had my mind blown by the genius that is Quentin Tarantino. Or the moment that I realized that The Shining was about genocide, particularly the genocide of the Native American people. Or when I had a private debate with myself about whether or not it was strange that I found Hannibal Lecter somewhat endearing. The man had morals! Anyhow, I will sign off and put myself in an adult time-out, enjoy my whiskey and get back to work. Cheers to the possibility of a moment of genius. 

No comments:

Post a Comment